Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Home for Christmas

Here I am, back in the beautiful state of Washington for Christmas break. It has been SO nice to be somewhere other than, as I put it, 'the land of perpetual sun and palm trees'. Sunshine is nice, don't get me wrong, but I kind of miss normal seasons, with colored trees in fall and snow in winter, etc. You know. And we have already had a little bit of snow since I arrived. Not much, and nothing stuck to the ground, but we had flakes coming down for about 20 minutes yesterday morning. I was very happy about it.

The last couple of weeks of first semester were really hectic, but I managed to get through everything. We had a choir concert, the Christmas dance, an opera, and a dorm party all on one weekend a couple of weeks ago, and barely had all of that gone by when finals loomed on the horizon. I spent more time and brain power than I care to think about studying for those finals, but I think I did alright on all of them. Thankfully, one thing I don't really have to think about is my senior thesis. I completed my first draft about a week before the November 30 due date, and my adviser thinks that it's almost perfect as is, so I'm really relieved. Not as much work to do next semester.

Since I've been home, I've baked cookies, written letters, read some of 'The Brothers Karamazov' and watched cheesy Hallmark channel Christmas movies. And gone Christmas shopping. Tomorrow we are going to the midnight Tridentine Mass up in Ballard, and I'm going to be singing with the choir, as the director is an old friend who used to direct the choir at my parish. I'm really looking forward to it; I've been attending the daily Tridentine Mass at TAC for almost two years now, and I've come to like it a LOT. It's so peaceful and quiet and meaningful.

To return to the subject of academics, I think one of my favorite classes this semester was theology. We studied St. Thomas Aquinas's treatise on the Trinity, and boy was it ever cool! I learned so much about the Trinity. Obviously I don't understand it and never will (on earth, at any rate), but I know a lot more about it now. One afternoon when a couple of friends and I were studying for the theology final, my friend Catherine, speaking of the Word, said, "He's like...God from God." After which my friend Nina and I added, "Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in being with the Father." Nina paused, sighed, and then added, "Oh guys...it's so cool to be Christian!" To which, of course, I heartily agreed. :)

Well, not a whole lot else going on around here. I'm looking forward to Anthony's visit. He arrives on the 5th, and we return to TAC on the 9th. I've got all kinds of things planned to do while he's here.

Anyway, it's getting kind of late, so I'm going to sign off for now. I hope you all have a very blessed and merry Christmas in a couple days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home