Monday, September 21, 2009

Senior Year

Well, I have returned to the sunny land of southern California for my fourth and final year at TAC. So far it's going great. Classes are all pretty interesting this year. In math we're doing calculus, and most recently learned how to find the volume of revolutionary solids via integration. Lab is way cool - we are studying light this year, and have been reading Newton's "Optics" as well as doing all kinds of experiments with prisms and lasers. In philosophy we have been studying Aristotle's "Physics" - the chapters concerning place and time. Next semester we get to do the "Metaphysics" which I am greatly looking forward to. In theology we are reading St. Thomas Aquinas's "Summa Theologiae" again. We've been focusing on some articles regarding how one would name God, as well as His knowledge and life, and we are very soon going to move on to study the Trinity. The Trinitarian articles will most likely be quite difficult - it is this next theology exam that each year's seniors always pray they will not write anything heretical in. :) My last class is seminar. I haven't really been enjoying it so far this year for various reasons, but at least the books are interesting so far. We've read War and Peace, The Wealth of Nations, some stuff by Kant, Emma, and now are working on Faust.

In place of a sixth class, the seniors write a senior thesis, which has to be 20 pages minimum, and which they defend orally before a board of three tutors during the second half of second semester. Everyone turns in a thesis proposal in the first month of the school year, which gives one's topic, thesis statement, and general plan of procedure for the thesis. I turned mine in a little over a week ago, and it was approved the next day by the dean and approval committee. Yay! I am finally doing what I said I would do a long time ago, if one were to read a post I wrote when I first started this blog; namely, I'm writing on why homosexual behavior is intrinsically disordered. I will be arguing primarily from natural philosophy, but I will also bring in the Scriptures and some papal encyclicals in the second half of the thesis. The topic has long interested me, but it was brought to mind again recently by the business concerning Prop 8 that was going on down here last November. Anyway, my proposal was approved, and I've written about four pages of my rough draft so far (it's due November 30), so I'm happy with the way things are going. :)

The senior-freshman beach day was this last Saturday. That was a lot of fun - the water was actually fairly mild, and the waves were great! I spent the longest time out in the surf just riding up and down on the waves. :) We also had a dance for the freshmen that evening, with lots of food and entertainment. It was fun, although I've decided that I'm not into dances quite as much as I used to be. They were fun and new freshman year, and even sophomore year, but they don't hold the same novelty for me now that they used to. Oh well, they're still pretty fun. :)

Anthony and I are still dating, and all is going well with that. He is coming to visit me for a few days during this Christmas break - January 5-9, and then we are flying back to TAC together. So there are lots of people who want to meet him, and lots of things to do while he's there. It should be a busy few days.

Anyway, I've got to get back to homework, so I will sign off for now. Hope everyone has a good week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home