Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lent!

So unlike many other people that I know, I'm not giving up blog posting for Lent - just the sweets this year, which is plenty enough for me, who loves sweets exceedingly, especially considering the fact that there are very good desserts after every meal here at college. I looked with longing on the chocolate-frosted cookie bars today...but no. Must resist!

The last little while has been somewhat wild and crazy, but I managed to survive it. For the last couple of weeks we've been getting some of the longest theology readings we're supposed to ever get (think 40 pages of really *dense* St. Augustine), plus we're into Kepler in math now, and as I have heard from some people, Kepler is probably close to the most difficult math we'll run into throughout the course of the curriculum. Lab is still plenty interesting. We titrated base into acid this morning in order to discover, with the use of a liquid indicator similar to litmus paper, the point of neutralization. Pretty cool stuff. In seminar we're reading Dante's Divine Comedy, which is turning out to be really amazing. That man put all kinds of subtleties into that poem, I'll tell you. In Latin we're still translating St. Thomas selections, and in Philosophy we're plugging through Aristotle's De Anima. We finally got finished sorting out what his predecessors thought, and are now getting to what HE actually thinks. I am glad about this. And while I'm on the subject of school, the only reason I'm writing this post right now is that Mr. Kelly (our theology tutor) canceled today's class. That made me *extremely* happy. But I still have math at 2:30. Oh well.

The junior class put on the Mardi Gras dance last Saturday. The theme was 'Fairytale Masquerade,' and boy was it cool! There were opportunities to make masks in the coffee shop several times before the dance, though I already had a mask and didn't need to make one. Some of the ones that people made were really amazing, though. They had all kinds of glitter, different colors and textures of paper, beads, sequins, feathers, and other things. Really neat. The main mural featured a large castle with a moat, and there was a smaller mural of a dragon and a knight on one of the other walls. Plants and other greenery were spread around nicely, and on the walls were photographs of various students dressed up as everything from Little Red Riding Hood to Rumpelstiltskin. Oh! Rapunzel's tower also found it's place in one corner, complete with "hair" (I think it was actually yellow yarn) hanging from the window. The entertainment was, for the most part, hilarious. One of my favorite acts was a rendition of "All I Ask of You" from the Phantom of the Opera, done by Mary Teichert (a senior) and Jordan Matteoli (a freshman, who has a voice absolutely to DIE for). It was *really* good, and luckily I took a video of it on my camera. Dancing itself was (as I always say) awesome. I got a fair number of dances, with most all my guy friends and also some that I didn't know as well, including a couple of visitors. I think I stayed till around 1 a.m. before I realized that I was really tired and had to get up early for choir rehearsal the next morning.

Speaking of choir, we are working quite busily on our musical for this spring, which is Gilbert and Sullivan's "Trial by Jury," a lesser known one that is about 45 minutes long, but hilariously silly and fun nonetheless. Basic storyline: a girl's fiance runs away on their wedding day and she sues him. In court the jury is obviously leaning towards the girl's side before the trial even starts, though they keep telling each other that the trial must be free from bias. The judge turns out to be a scamp who ran off on his wife (oh, the irony), and he ends up falling in love with the girl and marrying her. It's great fun. There are no alto solos, otherwise I would try out for a part, but maybe I can be the head bridesmaid, who is a listed part of the cast even though she has no singing lines independent of the chorus. One of my favorite lines is from the usher:

Oh, listen to the plaintiff's case,
Observe the features of her face.
The broken-hearted bride!
Condole with her distress of mind...
From bias free of every kind,
This trial must be tried!

And when amidst the plaintiff's shrieks,
The ruffianly defendant speaks,
Upon the other side,
What he may say you needn't mind...
From bias free of every kind,
This trial must be tried!

Heehee! Great stuff. We-ell, I should go look at my math a bit more before class, so I will sign out for now. Hope you all are well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home