Thursday, September 16, 2010

How Far Must We Fall?

Life Site News has an article about a new TV show that I've been seeing commercials for in the last week or so. The subject of this TV show is a polygamous LDS family - a "husband" with three "wives" and a fourth one soon to join. Although the ads absolutely sicken me, I have to say that sadly, I'm not surprised. Now that people are clamoring to redefine marriage so that two men or two women can get married, why should there be a problem with one man and multiple women? Once one departs from the natural, intended order of things, there is no reason not to accept every possible perversion of them.

As for the women who enter these "marriages" and seem to be just fine with them, I think they must be brainwashed, because NO normal red-blooded girl or woman that I know who is in a relationship wants to share their significant other. Certainly not me. My fiance is going to be mine and mine alone when we are married, "til death do us part."

Now of course I know all the arguments will come out about how the Old Testament Patriarchs had multiple wives, etc. etc. But in response I proffer the opinion of St. Augustine of Hippo, who said that it was permitted in the early days of mankind in order that the human race might increase more rapidly. But after the earth was filled with men and humanity had a safe, firm footing in the world, there was no longer any need for such rapid procreation, and Christ returned things to the way they were meant to be "from the beginning." (Matthew 19:8) He called divorce and remarriage adultery; a fortiori then, "marrying" someone else while still married to a first wife would also be adultery.

By the way, the channel offering this show (which is called "Sister Wives") is TLC, and I plan on sending them a letter about it, as well as boycotting their channel (even though it will be hard to give up "Say Yes to the Dress"). I encourage like-minded readers to do the same. We've got to stand up and speak out if we ever want to change the direction our culture is heading in.

Here is a link to the page where you can contact TLC to express concerns about this show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home