Tuesday, September 14, 2010

And This Week's Weather Forecast Is...

I think since I've changed the title of my blog to reflect the fact that I'm marrying into a farming family, I should begin writing things that include that soon-to-be aspect of my life. And one thing that I've definitely realized about farming so far is how dependent it is on the weather. Of course, one always knows in the back of one's mind that farmers depend on the weather, but it becomes a lot more real when you actually live the life. While I was visiting Wyoming last month, I was surprised by how much people would say something along the lines of, "Pray for good weather," or, "Pray that it doesn't hail." Because when it hails, the crop gets ruined at least partially, and that decreases the amount of whatever-it-is that is available to the consumer, and therefore also the farmer's income. And when you are living with a family whose whole livelihood depends on that income, you suddenly realize in a whole new way what it means to be dependent on the weather.

A slightly more minor result of weather-dependency is that I don't know exactly when Anthony will next be coming to visit me. He can't come unless they've gotten a good amount of grass combined, but they can't combine unless the fields are dry. And obviously the fields won't be dry if it rains. So, too much rain in Wyoming equals no visit from Anthony here in Washington.

So, everybody pray for clear skies in northwestern Wyoming in the next few weeks. Gotta get the grass, beans and alfalfa combined! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home